Sunday, October 23, 2011

THE SPIRIT OF PRIDE And A HAUGHTY SPIRIT

Scripture Reference: Proverbs 6:16-19 


Haughty and pride are synonymous in meaning. A haughty spirit is the result of a spirit of pride.  It is to be disdainfully proud, snobbish, and arrogant God hates the spirit of pride, for the spirit of pride kills our ability to obey God’s word, follow His plan and purpose. Pride is anti-God. It is this very spirit that changed Lucifer into the devil. It is the turning away from God to seek satisfaction in or for self.

One of the greatest tragedies of the spirit of pride is self-deception, for the one trapped by this spirit is unable to see himself as he really is. The spirit of pride says it’s not me, it's them. Our view of ourselves must align with how God views us. Our view of others must be in line with God’s view of others.


This offensive spirit infects our purity, character, our relationship with God and with our sisters and brothers.  It is the root of most of the problems within the church; for each person’s spirit of pride competes with everyone else’s spirit of pride.


The spirit of pride makes everyone sick but the one who has it.

Identifying the Spirit of Pride

The spirit of pride grows from the root of bitterness in the heart. It often originates in self righteousness and makes one wise in his own eyes. Pride is based on falsehoods and prevents us from seeing any wrong in ourselves. Everyone else is wrong but you. The proud feels he is the standard that everyone else must come up to and  always says I did this, I do that; I am this, I am that.

In the Hebrew, pride means to lift up self to be equal to. It is puffed up, stiff necked (stubborn) and stuck up.  It is an over inflated self-esteem. It is to act arrogantly and is the idolatrous worship of self.

The spirit of pride gives in to greed when self feels it does not have enough
The spirit of pride gives in to envy when self feels someone less worthy else has received the honor it deserves
The spirit of pride gives in to anger when self is offended
The spirit of pride gives in to a critical spirit when self’s esteem has been injured
The spirit of pride gives in to resentment when self has been threaten

The spirit of pride promotes self-sufficiency. It says I can do it myself, I don’t need anyone’s help. God does not honor our self-made lives. He measures success based on obedience to His Word, plan and purpose.

It is a sinful attitude that focuses undue attention on self and has a destructive effect upon the fruit of the spirit   (Galatians 5:22-23)

It is the opposite of love. It is self-interest, while love is selfless interest in another.
The Spirit of pride is easily offended and joy departs when pride is upset.
The spirit of pride robs us of our peace with ourselves and others
The spirit of pride is unforgiving and says I don’t have to put up with this
The spirit of pride is rough and abrasive and the opposite of gentleness
The spirit of pride is good only to itself
The spirit of pride is faithful only to itself

The spirit of pride will not be limited by anything, anybody or even the Word of God. For it asks itself, why can’t I have, why can’t I do? It tells us that we are doing the best we can, even though our walk does not show it..

13 comments:

  1. I have to say thank you!!!! What a great article!!! I have struggled with pride and never new it was the blanket for so many things gone wrong in my life!!! What a smart and beautiful woman you are!!! Thank you for your obedience and for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the person who wrote this article, thank you. I have been struggling with pride since it was hurt. I have seen my pride hurt the people I love. I pray that those who struggle with pride may come closer to God, through reading this article and this comment, so they know they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lord. How do we rid ourselves of a spirit of pride! Cleanse me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a signup for a newsletter or to stay connected with your blog. Thanks for this article. You are a beautiful writer and right on with your message. I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. I thought I had self esteem, rather, it was pride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thx for the info I'm struggling with pride and it's ruining my life and marriage.I need help from God to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you author for this. Ive benefitted greatly from this article. It’s the first thing I found after realizing that I was trapped by this spirit. I just finished a fast and was able to hear the Lord saying this about me. Now I can pray and ask the Lord to remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great article! Wonderful wisdom ... I love how you identified that it begins with a root of bitterness. So true, I never thought about it like that before. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. We all need a good dose of truth - it’s good for the soul! You’ve done great job with your whole page!!!

    May God continue to bless all that you put your hand to

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the content of this article. It is straightforward yet gently correct you to align yourself back.to the will of God.
    Bless you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guilty and didn't realize until I read this article. My sister always say Deborah has to have her way. My mom says go ahead and do it your way. I'm asking for God's forgiveness and help, and you all's prays for me that I changr

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the shoe fits wear it. Time for a change, New shoes I have. Thanks ❤ 😊 Wisdom.

    ReplyDelete